The Society of Israel Philatelists, inc.
The formal history of the SIP began in 1948 in New York City. A group of men with a common interest in Israel and Holyland philately gathered to organize a society dedicated to publishing, exhibiting and learning Holyland postal history. The first president was Dr. Louis Sarrow. During the first decade, the society started publishing a journal called the Israel-Palestine Philatelist and attending various stamp shows in and around the New York City area. Eventually, additional chapters started to emerge, with Los Angeles, Albany and Canada all affiliating during the 1950’s.
Although philately, in general, went through many transitions and consolidations, the Society of Israel Philatelists continued to flourish under the great leadership of presidents like Paul Aufrichtig, Howard Chapman, Henry (Hank) Stern and Mike Kaltman during the 1990’s. Dr. Stadtler insured the continuity of the gold award-winning Israel Philatelist magazine and new research continued to surface which became available to all collectors through the SIP’s publications.
The Society built a website and began an Endowment program during the 1990’s under the auspices of Michael Bass which set the stage for the new century ahead. Membership reached a peak of over 1,700 members and many became Life Members.
During the 1960’s, Israel continued to issue some of the world’s prettiest stamps and collectors throughout the United States became more interested in learning about the Holyland’s postal operations. New chapters in Cleveland, Rochester, Chicago, Dallas, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and elsewhere swelled the Society’s membership.The journal became “The Israel Philatelist” and was published bi-monthly. Writers contributed mightily to the learning process of members and the Society developed the Educational Fund to publish monograms and support the membership at large.
Exceptional volunteers like Fritz Nussbaum, Dr. Albert Friedberg, Dr. Oscar Stadtler, Nate Zankel, Stan Raffel and Howard Chapman continue to maintain the exceptional services the Society offered. Many new lectures were written and slide shows developed which chapters and members used in promulgating collecting interests in Forerunners, British Mandate, Interim Period and more.